Tuesday 8 July 2014

Using Pocket Page Cards for Traditional Layouts (Artfull Crafts)

Good morning!  I'm up on the Artfull Crafts blog today with some new layouts.  Like many scrapbookers, I've discovered a real love for cards that have been developed for pocket scrapbooking.  The phenomenon really started for me with 12 x 12 cut apart sheets, and then when the American Craft brands, such as Dear Lizzy collaborated with Becky Higgins Project Life I really fell in love with the mini kits (you can also get kits by Amy Tangerine and Maggie Holmes).

This first page is made with the Project Life Dear Lizzy Daydreamer Mini Kit, which you can find in the shop here.  I started with a trimmed down piece of pink cardstock and applied some white acrylic paint to soften it.  Next I went through the kit and selected my favourite cards to work with the sweet photo of Brielle's newborn hand.  I then placed them in a pleasing arrangement, machine stitched them down, and lifted up the edges with my fingernails.  I'd decided early on where to place my photo, and added two doilies behind it to soften it.  I embellished the cards with complimentary coloured embellishments and washi tape, and I hand stitched around the heart on the "Fill your heart" card.  The "Love, Love" sentiment was cut out from one of the cards.  Psalm 139:14 was the perfect journalling for this page.  The page needed something to finish it off, and backing it onto white cardstock provided a frame.


Some close ups:


Always look for ways that you can alter the cards, whether it be cutting them apart, sewing around them, or trimming them down.



For my second layout I used the We Are Memory Keepers Albums Made Easy Journalling Cards, which can be found in the shop here.  These particular cards are the Inked Rose set, and are made especially for Instagram Photos.  I purchased them specifically to use on layouts.

My photos were 6 x 6 sized, and I trimmed them down to fit in the frames.  The pink frame had an arrow attached, but I trimmed it off as I didn't like it across the photo.  This layout is really very simple, and I let the beautiful frames and cards do all the work for me.  I added the doilies and rubons and sequins for extra embellishment, rounded the corners of the black card stock, and backed it on pink cardstock for continuity with the predominant pink frames and cards.



The silver rubons add subtle dimension behind the cards:


This collection provides lovely frames and journalling cards:


I cut this butterfly out from one of the cards:



You can find Project Life products in the shop here and all pocket scrapbooking (including non-PL brand) products here.

I loved creating these pages, thanks for looking!

3 comments:

  1. oh wow both pages are amazing!!! LOVE LOVE the pocket pages tags and stitching on the top page!! that is a clever design and fun lil frames for the pics on the second page!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way this just all looks so perfect, can't wait until I can try something like this

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such sweet pages, Melissa! Love how you used the idea of pocket Scrapbooking on your layouts!!

    ReplyDelete